Monday, August 25, 2008

Week 2: Getting easier...

East Lake Sammamish Trail

Week two kicked off with a new gym membership. After heading into my old gym, Anderson's Nautilus at Greenlake, to run on a treadmill during a particularly rainy evening, I knew there was no way this was going to work. Five of their six treadmills were occupied by huge football player type guys, and the temperature in the treadmill room was hovering around 80 degrees.

So I did some research and settled on L.A. Fitness up on 134th and Aurora. Alex had been in a few times and told me it was great, although too far of a trek for her. This gym is awesome! Pool, racquetball courts, millions of treadmills, and it's spotlessly clean. Oh, and the monthly membership is almost half of what I was paying at Anderson's. The choice was easy.

So I settled into a gym routine this week - just in time for several days of Seattle rain. Running on the treadmill is fine for now while I'm still doing light weekday runs of 3-4 miles. In a few weeks when those increase to 5-8 miles, I'll need to come up with a better plan.

So I finished out the week with a 3/4/3/6 schedule, 16 miles total. On Saturday, Raj and I had to get up early to watch Alex compete in her first triathlon, also in the city of Sammamish where he lives, so I got up early from his place and ran the East Lake Sammamish Trail. It looked good on the website, but the loose gravel trail really screwed up my knees, particularly the left knee, which I had problems with in the spring. I won't be running there again.

Later on Saturday, Raj and I drove out to Port Angeles and camped at Heart o' the Hills in the Olympic National Rain forest. We took it easy and just relaxed all day, ate some awesome mexican food, and settled in our tent fairly early. On Sunday, my knee was still hurting and as it started pouring rain, we decided to scrap our hiking plans (and omelette plans....saaaaad) and head home.... which took 5 hours due to a massive car accident on the 101!

Overall, much improvement this week with my runs. I am running between a 11:35-11:50 minute pace, which was close to my half-marathon time. Aside from the physical progress, I am making a huge effort to up my calcium and iron intake, and of course plenty of carbs. It is nearly impossible to "watch my weight" while I am in training mode, so I'm just focusing on eating the best foods I can to give me optimum energy to complete the runs.

Ok, off to the gym for my Monday night run....

No comments: