Monday, October 27, 2008

Week 11: What I think about when I think about running



This week's title is a spin on the popular memoir by Haruki Murakami called "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running." I keep meaning to pick up this book. Maybe I will after the marathon. I ran for a very long time this weekend - almost 4 1/2 hours - 18 miles - the furthest I have ever run in my life. I had Wacarra with me during the first 6 miles and we chatted away about everything from the election to Weight Watchers to future career goals and aspirations. It's true that whenever I'm not running all I talk to her about is running, and when we are running we talk about everything else :)

After mile 6 we had to say goodbye and I continued on to the next 12 miles alone. I decided to try a new trail this time and started just outside of Matthews Beach Park at 97th Ave NE and Sand Point Way and ran 9 miles up past Bothell Landing and back. The views were straight out of a Monet painting (if Monet painted fall foliage). The trail led me over rickety bridges and still water, through windy paths littered with golden yellow leaves and tall birch trees, past a wild rooster and a pair of bronzed running shoes. Throughout the entire run I was reminded how fortunate I was to live in an area of the country that not only has stunning natural beauty at every turn, but also a population of tax payers who financially support the infrastructure needed to maintain such beautiful trails and parks. Thank you, King County.

So while I was surrounded by all of this beauty, on a slightly chilly, clear autumn morning, I thought about all of the wonderful things that have come into my life from the moment I began running. I am more satisfied with my career than I have ever been; I've become a more supportive friend; and I am in the best relationship of my life. In a nutshell, I am the happiest I have ever been, and I trust that things will only get better. I believe there is a direct correlation between running and achieving and my level of happiness. I guess you could say I've hit the runner's high.

The 18-miles wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Miles 13-16 were still difficult but once again I made it. For the very first time, I looked at my Garmin watch, at the 17.95 miles staring back at me from the display, and I was really, really proud of myself. Eighteen miles is an awesome achievement. I did it. I'm a runner.

Link to the Garmin Report

1 comment:

wac said...

Way to go, Deb!!! You should be proud of yourself! You looked really strong on your run, you're going to have such a great marathon! I just know it! :)