Sunday, March 16, 2008

Wearin' O' the Green

Today was the St. Patrick's Day Dash beginning at the Seattle Center in Queen Anne and finishing at Qwest Field in SODO - 3.5 miles in all. This is one of Seattle's biggest races, and I was surprised at how disorganized the whole event was. From the postponed start to the lack of signage along the course, to the completely lame post-dash bash which included a crappy band and packets of BEEF JERKY at the finish line. No bagels or orange juice. No water. Nobody at the finish line to cut off our race chips (I totally forgot and left the race still wearing mine). And then there were the return shuttles ... what a nightmare. You'd think the money raised by more than 15,000 runners paying $30 a piece they could at least afford some decent food at the finish line.

The weather was good though and it was an easy, scenic course. This is my last race until the Vancouver Sun Run at the end of April (50,000 runners at that race - hoping the Canadians are more organized!). For now, I will continue to focus on my Saturday long runs (this weekend was another 6 miler ... almost 10 miles total this weekend, I'm tired). Next weekend ... Seward Park?


Deb and Wacarra, St. Pat's Dash 2008

Waiting to cross the starting line - I can't find Alex among the 15,000 runners on Mercer Ave!

1/2 mile into the race - running under freeway 99

Amazing weather today - I had to stop, turn around, and take a pic. It's not everyday I get to run on the viaduct! As I was taking this photo, someone called out my name. It was ....

Alex!

Deb and Alex


No comments: