Saturday, November 8, 2008

2 weeks to marathon

T-minus two weeks to marathon day. My body is slowly breaking down into little pieces, now still not fully recovered after last Saturday's 20-miler. I remember reading somewhere that it takes 26 days to recover from a marathon, which probably means it takes a good three weeks to recover from 20. A quick rundown of my physical state:
  • Knee problem is not getting any better. Now I am frequently waking up during the night if I roll over and move my leg.
  • I didn't blog about this, but I went to see my doctor two weeks ago about a bad pain in my neck. Turns out I somehow pulled my trapezius muscle (the large muscle that connects the head to the shoulders down the back). He put me on muscle relaxers which actually gave me worse headaches, so I've only been taking them intermittently. I'm not sure what caused this (could be ergonomics at work), but I'm sure my tense running form has made it worse. I wake up everyday with a headache and am taking between 2-4 Advil per day.
  • I have a new problem with the outside of my right foot. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Maybe bruising of the muscle tissue? I was freaked at first that it might be a stress fracture, but nothing hurts when I massage my foot, so I doubt that's the problem. The pain sets in at the 4-5 mile mark and generally hurts for a day or so following my run.
I took it easy this week, only running once on Wednesday (5 miles) and 10 miles today (in the pouring rain, unfortunate). I'm a little sore but I feel ok. I think another week of light running and some rest will do me good. I'm definitely recognizing the necessity of a full three-week taper (I had considered doing only two) to give my legs the rest they need. I'm not sure what's going to happen on marathon day, but I'm sure I'll cross the finish line, even if I have to crawl.

2 comments:

wac said...

Hang in there!! Tapering is a weird time, but your body can really use the rest :) It's great that you're taking it easy. You're going to be so ready for that marathon!!! :)

Deborah said...

At this point, I've put the time in. Who knows what will happen on race day. It's part of the excitement I guess.